Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 2009 18:08:08 +0100
From:      "Tonix (Antonio Nati)" <tonix@interazioni.it>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Jails creation

Miroslav Lachman ha scritto:
> Tonix (Antonio Nati) wrote:
>>
>> Is there any architectural reason for which jails must be created
>> only starting from sources?
>> Would not it be simpler to create a jail cloning the host environment
>> binaries (and then using the normal freebsd-update to keep it updated)?
>> Would it be possible to suggest a funded project with this goal?
>
> You are not the first one with this idea. You can easily use nullfs
> mount of directories from base system, but people mostly prefer
> independent directory with jail install shared by many jails.
>
> And sometimes somebody needs jails with modified binaries, so it is
> not possible to share theme with base system in all cases.
>
> There are many ways to get jails running without sources, it is up to
> you to choose one.
>
> Miroslav Lachman

I have nothing against shared dirs, but my question is this: why the
basic jail creation command requires compilation? Given the fact jail
must have exactly the same version of base system, why the base create
command dos not simply copy the existing binaries? It would avoid local
source, remote packages, etc...

Regards,

Tonino

        Inter@zioni            Interazioni di Antonio Nati