Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2004 16:20:11 -0600
From:      "Jeff Stockett" <jeff_301@msn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problem booting 5.3STABLE from USB2 flash drive

Hello,

I'm hoping to use freebsd as a custom router.  To minimize noise and failure
points, I was hoping to boot from a USB2 flash stick which have gotten dirt
cheap.  I downloaded 5.3RELEASE-i386-miniinst.iso and burned it to CD -
stuck my 512MB flash drive into a USB port, and let the CD boot up.
Everything appears to work, in that the installer lets me partition and
format device da0 fine as well as copy over all the files (doing a "minimal"
base install), but after it finishes everything and goes to reboot, the
machine just hangs.  After a hard reset, at boot time I get:

F1 FreeBSD
Default: F1

but then the box just hangs there locked up tight as a drum.

If instead of choosing the "boot loader" option during install, I choose the
standard "MBR" option after reset, I get:

No Operating System

Seems that the boot loader option almost works - but not quite.  Does anyone
know what might be wrong.  Possibly some sort of USB initialize timing
problem with the kernel?

FWIW, the board boots DOS fine off the USB key, so I know the BIOS/board are
working as intended.  Thoughts?

Thanks,  Jeff