Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 2010 20:26:43 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A jail with a dash in its name

--------------enigBACEECABA3726F7C0511B705

On 21/12/2010 12:11, Robert Bonomi wrote:
>> I want to create a jail called forest-friend. And having a dash in the=

>> > name seems to create problems for me.
>> >
>> > /etc/rc.conf: jail_forest-friend_rootdir=3D/usr/jails/forest-friend:=
 not found

>> > how do I escape that?

You don't.

rc.conf uses bourne shell syntax.  The entries are all variable
initializations.  "jail_forest-friend_rootdir" is illegal as a variable
name -- you can't have a '-' character in there.

I suggest you /call/ your jail forest_friend and use that form in
everything that appears on the LHS of an assignment in rc.conf.

Of course, there's no problem with using the form 'forest-friend' on the
RHS of any assignments, so long as it's properly quoted, of course.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                  Flat 3