Date:      Sun, 26 Aug 2001 06:55:38 -0700
From:      Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Frustrating network problem - need diagnotic help

Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> writes:

> On Sat, Aug 25, 2001 at 09:34:42PM -0700, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > Setup: Toshiba 4005CDS
>> FreeBSD-4.3-20010807-STABLE
>>
>> In my own defense concerning posting this here:
>> I've posted this problem on `questions' `stable' and `net'.
>> To date I have received no help whatever.  Maybe since it is a laptop,
>> someone here will take time to help.
>
> What does ifconfig show for the interface?  Is it a PCMCIA card?  If so,
> what does pccard show?

ifconfig ed0:

ed0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	ether 01:d4:ff:03:00:20

Yes, PCMCIA

I'm not sure how to get the information you requestred about pccard.
Maybe pccardc dumpcis?

The man pccard item that descibes dumpcis is so heavily techno, I couldn't
make any sense of it.  Other than that it
shows SOMETHING about pccard [slot]

`pccard dumpcis' gives 155 lines of output.  I have no idea which are
pertinent.

I've posted the full output here:

     http://home.networkone.net/~reader/exp/bsd/

> I had a problem (a year or so ago) wherin my PCMCIA NIC was being
> misprobed, and an invalid MAC address was being invented.  I could
> establish certain outgoing TCP sessions, but no internal ones.

How does one tell if it is a bogus MAC address?  What do you mean by
`certain' above?  There were some tcp connections you could not make?

In my case I haven't noticed any I could not make. (outbound)