Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 18:36:41 +1000 (EST)
From:      David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: moused conflicts with X11

>> >Because the way I understand it, its because BOTH mosed & X has the
>> >mousedevice open at the same time, this is only fixable by having
>> >one of then close it. BUT the X server NEVER closes it during its
>> >life time :(
>>
>> That isn't true for the XFree86 servers.  They close the mouse device
>> when switching away from the X server.  They do this so that other things
>> can use the mouse (eg, an X server running on another vty).
>
>Great !, thanks for the enlightment, it has to be my old'ish Xaccel
>server that does wierd things. Now that I have your attention, how
>would you guys prefer to talk to the mouse ??

It would be nice if there was an option to have the OS do the protocol
translation, and provide a device from which the translated mouse events
can be read.  SVR4, SCO and Mach (and OS/2, I think) do this sort of
thing.  gpm on Linux provides a device (probably a pipe, I don't know
the details), which gives output translated to MouseSystems format
regardless of the native mouse type.

David