Date:      Sun, 30 Nov 1997 10:41:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Stackable storage Alpha release

Joerg said:

> Hmm.  I hope you don't `unsupport' non-sliced disks.  I'm exclusively
> relying on them.  I hate slices, and i particular hate the geometry
> hassles resulting out of the fdisk table braindamage (C/H/S
> limitations, and non-portability issues between different
> controllers).  So if you don't support non-sliced disks, be assured,
> i'd like to help out in this area... ;-)

No I support them better than they were supported before,
it's just that their name (sd01, sd0b) cannot be used as aliases for
SLICED partitions, (sd0s1a) (sd0s1b) in /etc/fstab,
because they are very different devices..
one has one layer, while the other has 2 layers.. Supporting it is sunch a
hack to to the layering that I don't want to do it.

julian
p.s. the patch is already out-of date .. (of course)