Date:      Fri, 08 Jul 2005 15:37:11 +0100
From:      Elliot Crosby-McCullough <freebsd@xianshi.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Root 8% reserved space and tunefs

Evening.

	We are downloading an item to a freebsd 5.3 server which has a size a
little short of the max size of the HD.  For technical reasons there is
no way to remove portions of the item before it is finished.

	There is enough space but only if the 8% reserved for root is taken
into account.  This is not currently being used as the files are being
aquired as www (via apache).

	I cannot use tunefs to free the 8% as the files are on /usr/ and cannot
be umounted.

	If anyone has any ideas they would be much appreciated; the only things
we haven't tried are slowly shifting the data onto a seperate slice,
shifting the volume bit by bit, trying to have apache run as root
temporarily or replacing the HD with a larger one (the latter being the
least viable).

Sincerely,
Elliot Crosby-McCullough