Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 02:55:18 -0700
From:      Laurence Brockman <L.Brockman@videon.ca>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: qmail IO--qmail vs postfix competition

I'd be interested in the URL :)

Thanks,
Laurence

--
Laurence Brockman
Unix Administrator
Videon Cablesystems Alberta Inc
10450-178 St.
Edmonton, AB
T5S 1S2
l.brockman@videon.ca
(780) 486-6527

-----Original Message-----
From: scanner@jurai.net [mailto:scanner@jurai.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 20, 2001 5:28 PM
To: Gordon Tetlow
Cc: Dan Phoenix; Jesper Skriver; freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Gordon Tetlow wrote:

> Forgot to add info about the mailers. Each has a hardware raid controller
> with about 32MB of memory on the controller configured to RAID-1 2HDs for
> redundancy. Ideally, the mail never actually hits the disk but resides
> exclusively in memory.

	Aha. That explains it. You use HW raid. I wondered why you were
only doing 4 million mails for *30* boxes. Dan, is doing 500K, on a
completely idle box (cpu/ram/I/O wise), with vinum, Postfix, and RAID-0.
Have you seen brad knowles papers on vinum vs HW raid? It's erm
enlightening to say the least :) Id be happy to dig up the URL if you are
interested. I personally will be using Vinum from now on. The performance
is very impressive.

=
-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
=
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"