Date:      Sun, 9 Jul 2000 00:05:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Emulation (Was: No port of Opera?)

On Sat, 8 Jul 2000, Thomas M. Sommers wrote:

> Brett Glass wrote:
> >
> > I'm certainly not going to trust a mission-critical, or even important,
> > application to emulation. I want to be able to get high-quality
> > commercial software which has been compiled and tested for the native
> > API and is supported on the platform I'm running. And that means native
> > code.
>
> If that is generally true, then the existence of Linux binary support
> will not deter vendors from porting to FreeBSD, because customers will
> not be using their products with the Linux layer.

I don't know if that is generally true but I hope it is. I certainly won't
purchase linux software from a vendor. Actually I won't/haven't installed
the api conversion layer. I've simply seen no need for it.

If Opera produces a native FreeBSD version of their product I would quite
likely buy it. Until then however I have plenty of options without having
to resort to running the linux version.

While I don't buy the extremes of the argument I suspect that the presence
of the conversion layer is some what of a deterent to vendors producing
native versions of their wares. However I doubt many of them would produce
a FreeBSD version even if the conversion layer wasn't there. I think Linux
probably has more of a workstation image and BSD more of a server
image. Why produce a wordprocessor (for example) for a market that is
mainly populated with servers, (in their eyes)?