Date:      Thu, 30 Mar 2006 19:01:21 -0800
From:      Pete Slagle <freebsd-questions@voidcaptain.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Thunderbird and Firefox dead after portupgrade

Donald J. O'Neill wrote:
> On Thursday 30 March 2006 17:53, Albert Shih wrote:
>>  Le 30/03/2006 =E0 14:42:10-0800, Micah a =E9crit
>>> illoai@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> 1.5.0.1_2 was commited last night, so it's probably a recent
>>> breakage. I just found a bug report on it at
>>> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D95100
>>> So we have four confirmed cases of firefox not working.
>> five...but not for firefox...for thunderbird (well I don't use it at
>> all...;-) )
>>
>> Same problem when I try to laucnh thunderbird, nothing append, no
>> error..
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> using : FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE
>=20
> This happened to me also, until I remembered this has happened before=20
> and what to try.=20
>=20
> Login as root, start the GUI (mine is KDE), open a terminal program and=
=20
> start firefox from there. After that, I had no problems. It's working=20
> fine.

Surprisingly, this worked perfectly for me with FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE,=20
although I didn't take the time to figure out why.

I didn't even restart the GUI, I just ran Firefox and Thunderbird from a =

xterm window as root, and then exited them.  All fixed.