Date:      Sat, 5 Aug 2000 12:38:28 -0700
From:      "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   OT: Apache + mod_perl + Netscape problems...

Please excuse the off-topic-ness of this message. I tried the
modperl@apache.org list, but haven't heard anything from them, so I thought
there might be some knowledgeable FreeBSDer who's seen this before:

A couple of days ago, I installed mod_perl (via the ports) to speed up a CGI
program I use to generate HTML pages for my web site (test page is at
http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/test/index.shtml).

I'm using FreeBSD 4.0-STABLE, Apache 1.3.12, and mod-perl 1.24.

The CGI script is a perl script that ran fine before mod_perl, and now runs
fine with Internet Explorer, but Netscape Navigator insists on downloading
the page instead of rendering the output. (The downloaded page is the HTML
output of the CGI script, so the script actually runs.)

The CGI script is called with an HTML anchor tag such as:
    <A
HREF="qengine.cgi?frames=OFF&mode=TOPIC&terms=Government">Government</A>

My httpd.conf file has the entry:

<Directory /usr/local/www/html/test>
    <Files ~ "\.cgi$">
        Options ExecCGI Includes
        SetHandler perl-script
        PerlHandler Apache::Registry
        PerlSendHeader Off
    </Files>
    AllowOverride None
    Options Indexes ExecCGI Includes
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

I embeded the <Files> section inside the <Directory> because I have other
cgi scripts in other directories that are compiled programs.

When I try 'PerlSendHeader On', Internet Explorer chokes on SSI tags after
'<!--#exec cgi=" ', displaying the name of the SSI script, e.g.,
'css.cgi">', while Netscape simply prints out the document (HTML tags and
all) without rendering it.

I searched the mailing list archives (both FreeBSD and mod_perl), but
couldn't find anything about this. I also printed out a lot of mod_perl
documentation, but I've got about 800 pages to go through...

If someone has run into this before, I'd really appreciate any light you
could shed!

TIA,

--Dan

--