Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 2013 10:56:47 -0500
From:      Jad Cooper <jadcooper@yahoo.com>
To:        Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>
Cc:        "george@ceetonetechnology.com" <george@ceetonetechnology.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>, Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi image and pkg_add, pkg etc

Hi all thanks for taking the time to reply.

Indeed the packages are all available for ARM.
When I delved into installing packages initially there were issues.
These are specific to the rpi image.

1. The pkg_add works but wants to download packages from an armv6 dir that's=
 not in the public repo.
2. Since pkgng is the new manager , trying to get it bootstrapped fails, so a=
 manual build is necessary - downloading the txz and extracting it  leaves i=
t missing several libraries.
3. Once pkgng is setup and working the location of the repo has to be set ma=
nually using the setenv packagesite
4. using pkgng I have to force install the packages.

Most of us are technical but to a hobbyist this is a bit complex, these are t=
he tools, files/condos I'd like to repair so that the image is immediately u=
seful for RPI.=20

It's a great image already but I want to make it as simple as possible for s=
tudents to get started with it.=20

Do I need to download the image source as tweak the c and header files??

Jad

On Mar 6, 2013, at 5:39 AM, Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net> wrote:

On Tue, 05 Mar 2013 22:06:11 -0500
George Rosamond <george@ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:

> On 03/05/13 17:59, Ian Lepore wrote:
>> On Mon, 2013-03-04 at 12:20 -0500, Jad Cooper wrote:
>>> Hi, I'd like to get involved in cleaning up/helping mature the
>>> Freebsd Rasperry Pi image. It's a fantastic platform but some
>>> things are broken especially the package manager as it seems to not
>>> correctly resolve the FTP repository, or incorrectly looks for tzb
>>> files or looks for a directory called ARMv6 when in fact the txz
>>> files are in the ARM folder.
>>>=20
>>> Please not this is my first such post so if the formatting or post
>>> is in the wrong list, I do apologize in advance.
>>>=20
>>> Jad
>>=20
>> I don't think I quite understand your question, which is not too=20
>> surprising since I know almost nothing about ports and packages.  I
>> do want to make sure you get a response from someone who knows about
>> these things; I've added one such person to the CC list.
>>=20
>> One thing that confuses me about your question is the reference to
>> the ftp repository... I don' think there are any arm packages being
>> built and distributed by the FreeBSD project right now.  Are you
>> trying to set up your own local repository, or connect to a private
>> one somewhere?
>=20
> I think my read on this is: there is no default PACKAGESITE set for
> pkgng in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf for the builds, which means pkgng
> doesn't work as it should, so Jad is offering to assist in resolving this.=

>=20
> Cool, Jad.  And you're on the right list, and my MUA sees your email fine!=

>=20
> So there is no official package or port repository yet for FreeBSD arm

Small correction: we have port repository for all platforms, only some
ports can't be built for ARM. Some ports are binary and can't be
installed due to lack of FreeBSD ARM distro.

> architecture.  A number of people are maintaining public yet individual
> sites, but nothing official yet.
>=20
> Whether or not you're a developer, jump aboard and look at Tim's and
> Gonzo's scripts for start.
>=20
> But start building images and customizing them.  Play.  Enjoy.  And feel
> free to jump in and ask questions.
>=20

--=20
Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net>