Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 00:25:52 -0500
From:      Jeff Harris <jeff@dcnv.com>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Help... heh.

Well, so I've been charged (well, okay, this is the way I want to do it),
with making 100+ BSD-based machines all play server on our network, and it
seems to me that installing freebsd onto all 100+ machines (We could easily
scale to 500 or more) would make administrative duties a nightmare.

So I thought, "What if all the machines just had a floppy in them, and they
grabbed a root, usr, and var filesystem from the boot server(s), grabbed a
dynamic ip address, booted up, used a local disk as swap, and loaded freebsd
into a large-ish ramdisk." This way they could just be rebooted to install
an upgraded software base, etc.

The machines in question are big pIII/500's with 1gig+ of ram each, 100mbit
ethernet, etc. They're fast. My question is, where do I start looking for
info. I've seen lots of diskless stuff (well, okay, a few things) but these
machines aren't totally diskless. They at least have a floppy.

Anyone have any tips or pointers on where to look at? I think this is the
direction I should move, as opposed to loading fbsd on each machine, running
cvsup's on all of them and ssh'ing into each one to do a make world (or
at least make installworld), and rsyncing our software (which is only
apache-based).

Anyways... Thanks, if anyone can help.. :)

---
Jeff Harris - DigitalConvergence.Com
jeff@dcnv.com