Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 19:39:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@pu.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   nagle, netcat, and stable

I've got a script-lication that uses netcat to obtain data from various
other operating systems.

There are certain systems that will cause netcat to appear to "hang"
about 30% of the time.  Disabling nagle by setting TCP_NODELAY on
the socket seems to clear this up nearly all the time.

I know *H* doesn't like to add options to netcat but I think an option
to disable nagle is probably worthwhile to add to netcat.

Anyhow there may be a problem with the 4.[5,6,7] tcp stack in interactions
with more recent Solaris tcp stacks.  I'm trying to get an idea of the
exact Solaris and its patch level.

Has anyone noticed a similar behavior with FTP on 4.[5,6,7] where a
connect to certain ftp sites will hang when attempting to use the data
channel?  This may be a variant of the same problem.  I note that the ftp
client doesn't disable nagle, although it does have an apparently unused
"ifdef IP_TOS".

Later

Mark Hittinger
bugs@pu.net