Date:      Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:44:40 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Robin Becker <robin@reportlab.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ssh protocol in 5.3

On Sat, Jan 01, 2005 at 10:31:43PM +0000, Robin Becker wrote:
> I have just upgraded one of my systems from 4.9 to 5.3 and even after
> restoring my old .ssh folder it seems I cannot get ssh on a 4.9 system
> to use protocol 1 with the 5.3 system.
>
> Am I being stupid or must I go through the pain of creating a whole new
> set of keys for protocol 2.
>
> We use protocol 1 for legacy reasons ie we have a very old
> implementation of ssh on our win32 PCs.
>
> I have tried various .ssh/config options, but nothing seems to help.

Make sure that /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the 5.3 systems contains a line
'Protocol 2,1'.  Then restart the sshd daemon (or just send it a
SIGHUP.)  (The default value for this option was changed between 4.9
and 5.3.  On 4.9 the default value is "2,1" while on 5.3 the default is
"2".)

Reading the sshd(8) and sshd_config(5) manpages carefully might prove
helpful.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson