Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 04:32:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@ki.net>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Iozone: local vs nfs drives

Hi...

	I was trying to prove a point in news tonight between using
an nfs mounted drive vs a local drive for a news server (one of the
gentleman doesn't seem to believe there is a difference).

	My argument involved using iozone to show the throughput
differences between nfs/local r/w's, and the results I got don't
look right:

this is my nfs mounted drive (133k/s and 382k/s):
IOZONE performance measurements:
        133152 bytes/second for writing the file
        382386 bytes/second for reading the file

vs local drive (1.78M/s and 938k/s):
IOZONE performance measurements:
        1784080 bytes/second for writing the file
        938585 bytes/second for reading the file

	They look right in so far that I would expect the local file
system to be faster then the remote...but I would also have expected
that reading the local file would be faster the writing it, as was
reflected in the nfs-mounted file system...

	Both systems are running 2.2-Current, same kernels, about
3 days old...

	I've tried varying the size of file iozone uses, up to a
30Meg file, and the results seem to be quite consistent:

IOZONE performance measurements:
        1984490 bytes/second for writing the file
        1117239 bytes/second for reading the file

	Why would reading the file be half as fast as writing it?

Marc G. Fournier                                  scrappy@ki.net
Systems Administrator @ ki.net               scrappy@freebsd.org