Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 17:08:00 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Kendall Shaw <queshaw@pacbell.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Leave workstation on or off?

Kendall Shaw wrote:

> Is it cheaper to turn workstations off at night and, or leave them
> on? I'd heard the idea before that you damage electronics
> by turning it off and on.

	I am really surprised that your question did not evoke more responses.
This is one of those "religious" topics that people usually have very
strong feelings about.

	In the "Old Days" (TM) PC manufacturers tried to cut cost any way they
could, and industry standards were such that it actually was possible to
fry a computer by turning it on and off too often. However, a kind of
vicious circle has evolved, where it is now very possible (and in fact,
they often do) to build electronic circuits that can eliminate the "on/off
power surge" that used to be such a problem. Think about it. How many other
pieces of high end electronics do you own (like a television, good quality
stereo, etc.) and how many of those manufacturers tell you to leave it on
24/7 because the power cycle is going to damage it? But since PC
manufacturers have been getting away with this BS for so long, some of them
try to perpetuate this myth so that they can continue to cut corners.
Personally I don't do business with those kinds of people, but if you're
using bargain basement PC parts (for whatever reason, hey, it's your box)
then you should be more cautious.

	At the same time, someone else already pointed out that the box itself
draws less wattage than a 60 watt light bulb. It's the MONITOR that is a
huge power sucker, so I always enable the dpms features of my monitors, and
turn them off for extended periods of non-use.

HTH,

Doug (Is it possible to be an "old fart" at 33?)