Date:      Fri, 11 Mar 2005 20:00:59 +0100
From:      Fabian Keil <freebsd-listen@fabiankeil.de>
To:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        gabriel <normal1.lists@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: D-Link NIC.

gabriel <normal1.lists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey, sorry about replying only to you but I'm just wondering if you
> can help with answering this question. Your script worked in the sence
> that I can see a log entry from the wless card intot he AP logs and it
> has a static ip set. I'm wondering, do you know how to make your
> script do DHCP? - This is the result of your script:
>
> ndis0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
>         inet 10.0.0.11 netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 10.255.255.255
>         inet6 fe80::211:95ff:fe87:8be4%ndis0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
>         ether 00:11:95:87:8b:e4
>         media: IEEE 802.11 Wireless Ethernet autoselect (DS/11Mbps)
>         status: associated
>         ssid normal1@gmail.com 1:normal1@gmail.com
>         channel 8 authmode OPEN powersavemode OFF powersavesleep 100
>         rtsthreshold 2312 protmode CTS
>         wepmode MIXED weptxkey 1
>         wepkey 1:104-bit
> dolores#

If your system configuration was right, putting the line
dhclient ndis0
in the script should do the trick. But if it doesn't work
if you type it by hand, it won't work in the script either.

> Problem is .11 isnt pingable and plus, I'd rather it be dhcp. If you
> can help, I'd be extremely greatful as I could probably get some
> sleep.

Is pinging the only problem aside the dhcp issue?
If it is, you might have a look in the AP configuration.
Some manufacturers consider ping a security problem,
and block ICMP echo requests by default.

Regards
Fabian
--
http://www.fabiankeil.de