Date:      Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:42:46 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Matt Rudderham" <matt@researcher.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Installing FreeBSD?

Matt Rudderham writes:
> >I'm sure that many moore people are just waiting for an friendlier
> >version of Freebsd. I know I do.
> >
> Yes, I know what you mean, when I first wanted to learn more about Unix, I
> remember buying an Easy to Install Linux Distribution, I think it may have
> been Corel. It was supposed to have a nice easy installation, very
> graphical. After booting from the CD, it would start to load, the screen
> would go blank, then reboot my machine, it would do this in a never ending
> process. As it turns out I was told by corel it was because my ATI video
> card was not supported.  I would much rather have an installation that is
> guaranteed to work as apposed to one that is guaranteed to look nice if it
> does. If you're having problems with the FreeBSD installation, please ask
> questions on the list, the people here are more than willing to help you.

Sounds like Corel went full bore graphical, instead of doing it
halfway. Personally, I don't want/need a graphical install, but it
would be nice - so long as it's *optional*. If I can't install without
plugging in a video card, something is broken.

Of course, anyone who thinks FreeBSD is hard should give Sun $75 for
Solaris 8 and install that. It asks you for *cylinder* numbers. Talk
about a blast from the past!

	<mike