Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 95 05:02:05 EST
From:      sreid@edmbbs.iceonline.com
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble connecting to an ISP with SLIP

I'm trying to connect to an ISP with SLIP, but I can't get it to work.
The SLIP FAQ that came on my FreeBSD CD is not much help.

I don't know if I have everything set up correctly... I've tried to set
it up as described in the FAQ, but the FAQ doesn't properly explain what
to do with all of the config files... Satoshi Asami shows his own
configuration files as an example, but doesn't explain what he's done.

The ISP assigns a different IP address each time I log on. Am I supposed
to use ifconfig to set the new IP address I've been given, then use
slattach? I tried to do that, but ifconfig says "unable to assign
requested address". I have no idea whether or not I have my config files
set up properly.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

IMHO someone should write a new FAQ.