Date:      Sat, 5 Jan 2002 16:29:59 -0500
From:      Matthew Graybosch <matthew@starbreaker.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The BSD daemon

--?J+t_l3/94/=.anw

On Sat, 5 Jan 2002 21:57:19 +0100 (CET)
Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de> wrote:

> dochawk@psu.edu wrote:
>  > But in English, "his" does not denote gender, unless indicated
>  > otherwise by context (whereas "her" always indicates gender).
>
> I think you're wrong.  I learned at school:  "his" == male,
> "her" == female, "its" == neuter.  When you don't know the
> gender of a person, you simply write "his or her".
>
> At least that's how you should do it in order to be
> respectful and "politically correct".

I won't get into "political correctness"; it'll only lead me to a rant that
will begin with Orwell's "newspeak" and end somewhere in the backroads of
Chaos.

However, I learned in school that either "he" or "it" were legitimate neuter
pronouns, though the neuter "he" was somewhat archaic, and that "it" was
more often applied to animals than to humans.

--
Matthew Graybosch
http://www.starbreaker.net

--?J+t_l3/94/=.anw