Date:      Mon, 04 Dec 1995 14:34:15 EDT
From:      "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
To:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Minor change to make

> In article <199512021742.RAA14346@exalt.x.org> kaleb@x.org writes:
> >
> > I want make to silently ignore a failure to find a .include file. The
> > reason I want this is because in the next release of X imake will generate
> > Makefiles that can use include files for dependencies if the system's make
> > supports it.
>
> ... which led to lots of ideas for controlling whether a diagnostic is
> issued.
>
> Hey, people!  Why not change it to use make's established syntax for
> ignoring errors?
>
>     -.include filename
>
> should ignore the error, but
>
>     .include filename
>
> should not.
>
> Don't invent a new kind of wheel if you don't need to.

Yup, that's how gnumake does it too, i.e. `include file' emits a warning
and try to build `file' if it does not exist, `-include file' is silent
and won't try to build `file' if it doesn't exist.

But I found another way to skin the cat. I only want dependencies and
FreeBSD make's treatment of the `.depend' file in the cwd is exactly
what I want. To bad I missed this detail right at the top of the make
man page or I could have saved myself some effort.

--

Kaleb