Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:41:59 -0500 (CDT)
From:      James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Q] why does my firewall degrade Web performance?

I am *amazed* at how much a simple 90 degree bend in a 100bT (or 10bT) can
ruin throughput in a cable. Forget it straight-out if you have a kink! If
you ever have access to a TDR cable tester, grab a cheap patch cable or
long cable or two and try it. Nothing teaches like experimentation!

That said, the advice to try uploading and downloading from both ends to
the machine in the middle is just plain sage. Cut your problems in half a
few times and you'll be within inches of them. - Jy@