Date:      Sat, 13 Jun 1998 17:41:07 -0400
From:      Lee Cremeans <lee@st-lcremean.tidalwave.net>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Funny, but true...

On Sat, Jun 13, 1998 at 04:59:19PM -0300, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:
>   The most laughable thing is the form I was required to fill.
> It is composed of some reasonable questions: Name, Address,
> Documentation, etc., but also has these question (in portuguese,
> the translation is mine):

[strange questions snipped]

>   Do these guys really expect some real terrorist or similar to
> answer yes to any of these questions ???

I think greg is partially right; I'd assume that a visa form, like most
other binding US Government forms, is subject to the USG's perjury
laws--according to those, reporting false information on a government form
is equivalent, at least in lip service, to lying in a trial (which is the
strict definition of perjury). The root of this, though, is the fact that
the State Department is paranoid, very paranoid. I'm sure they have some
right to be at this moment, after all the attacks on US installations in the
Middle East (and the NYC World Trade Center bombing here 5 years ago) by
rabid Islam fundamentalists...and the Nazi thing is because there are Nazis
hiding out in South America, apparently, that avoided the Nuremburg trials in
1946 (most are very old now, and I would not doubt they'd all be dead in 10
years).

--
Lee C. -- Manassas, VA, USA  (WakkyMouse on DALnet #watertower)
A! JW223 YWD+++^ri P&B++ SL+++^i GDF B&M KK--i MD+++i P++ I++++ Did