Date:      Mon, 17 May 1999 13:26:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        ALBERTO RUIZ <arr@vnet.es>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TOO MANY QUESTIONS!!!

On Sat, 15 May 1999, ALBERTO RUIZ wrote:

>         I recently bought Free BSD 3.1 from Walnut Creek, but I got some
> problems in the installation:
> (...)
> retyped it, I reboot, and when I was asked for the login, I entered it ,
> then the pass, and I got the same wrong message:LOGIN FAILURE
> thank u very much!!!

I think you should boot into single user mode. Interrupt the boot
`countdown' displayed on the screen after selecting FreeBSD from the boot
manager menu by pressing any key. Type in the following boot command:

  boot -s

The system will boot into single user mode. Check (just to make sure) and
mount all UNIX filesystems:

  fsck -y
  mount -a -t ufs

Then, set the root password once again:

  passwd

Now, type

  exit

to boot into the default multi user mode. Now you should be able to login.

Regards

//
// Konrad Heuer                                  ____            ___  _____=
__=20
// Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche           / __/______ ___ / _ )/ __=
/ _ \
//    Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen          / _// __/ -_) -_) _  |\ \/=
 // /
// Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen              /_/ /_/  \__/\__/____/___=
/____/=20
// Deutschland (Germany)                      ----- The Power to Serve ----=