Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 1997 03:34:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Marco Molteni <molter@logic.it>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUMMARY: Chuck image being used in a sex ad

> We've discussed this a number of times already.  Kirk claims that it
> was a "Walnut Creek marketing droid" who invented the name Chuck.  A
> number of the FreeBSD people, I think including Jordan, claim that the
> name has been around a lot longer, and that de facto, his name *is*
> Chuck.

I first heard him called Chuck back in 1985 sometime, at UCB.  My
first reaction was also "*what?*" since it seemed a strange name
indeed for an imp with sneakers, but it's sort of grown on my since
then.  Having to say "the bsd daemon" when referring to the little guy
is a bit heavy on the d's and I think he started getting called Chuck
more for convenience than anything else ("pick something short"). :)

					Jordan