Date:      Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:51:28 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Danny <bchadmin@eagleroaming.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 4.9R changing MTA to Postfix - no periodic.conf

Danny wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> So I have installed Postfix from the ports, read the pkg-message, read the
> changing the MTA in the handbook, and did a bit of searching.
>
> So after the switch, I obviously get:
>
> Apr 23 03:01:00 mx1 postfix/sendmail[2175]: fatal: unsupported: -bh
> Apr 23 03:01:01 mx1 postfix/sendmail[2176]: fatal: unsupported: -bH
>
> Because I did not:
>
> "Also, you will want to disable some Sendmail-specific daily maintenance
> routines in your /etc/periodic.conf file:
>
> daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
> daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"
> daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
> daily_submit_queuerun="NO""
>
> However, I do not have a periodic.conf. How is the periodic running without a
> config file?
>
> Could someone please show me there periodic.conf file and why they chose the
> options they did, or maybe baseline.

/etc/defaults/periodic.conf has all the default values for periodic.  You should
_NOT_ endit /etc/defaults/periodic.conf ... the point is that /etc/periodic.conf
overrides those defaults.  You can, however, use /etc/defaults/periodic.conf as
a reference to see what values are available and what their default values are.

Simply create a new file called /etc/periodic.conf and put the configuration
options shown above in it.  Anything not in /etc/periodic.conf will be
set from /etc/defaults/periodic.conf.

(Copying /etc/defaults/periodic.conf to /etc/periodic.conf is NOT a good idea, as
it defeats the purpose of the default file.  FYI, a lot of things are handled in
this manner, look at /etc/defaults/rc.conf for another example)

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies