Date:      Tue, 27 Aug 1996 09:02:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        koshy@india.hp.com (Koshy)
Cc:        hal@post.vale.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple swaps slow down system?

> IDE (ATA-2) can use DMA, in fact, future ATA standards make DMA support
> mandatory.

I was under the impression that probing the chipset for this capability
will crash older chipsets.  Thus it is impossible to probe for the
capability uniformly and safely, other than by keeping a ROM/ID table
and using that to detect the things.  Windows95 and NT get around the
issue by logging probes during install.  If a user resets after an "if
this takes too long..." message, it decides the hardware isn't there
when the install starts up again (what the hell is "too long"?  ...they
don't tell us).

Further, the RZ1000 and two other IDE chipsets are well known to
silently fail DMA's if an interrupt occurs during a DMA transfer.
DOS does not have this problem, and Windows95 and NT 4.x beta
both silently turn the feature off in the user's CMOS.  There is
"test" software on the Intel www site -- it *also* silently turns
off the feature where it can, claiming "you don't have to worry about
the problem".  A careful examination of the CMOS settings before
and afer will show that the twiddling has taken place (AMI BIOS has
an advanced setup screen for IDE-on-the-motherboard BIOS for turning
on or of "overlapped I/O" -- this seeting has been seen to change).

> However, IDE devices sell for around half the price of comparable
> SCSI devices in most parts of the world, so they are probably going
> to be around for a while.

I always wonder if this is just dealers milking the market, or what.
The latest "Processor" magazine shows no price difference in drives
over 250M or so.  It is just impossible to subscribe to "Processor"
or "Computer Shopper" outside the US, or just impossible to buy through
them?  Or is it possible, but just not done, in an international
conspiracy to portray SCSI as costing more?  8-).

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---