Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 01:21:42 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>, david@sparks.net
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, mlnn4@oaks.com.au
Subject:   Re: Multi-terabyte disk farm

In the last episode (Oct 27), Joe Greco said:
> Writing to a RAID involves a performance penalty where all drives
> have to participate in the write process.  Involving only five drives
> instead of eight implies that the other three can be doing something
> else.

That doesn't make much sense.  Writing to a RAID should only involve
two drives; the data drive and the drive the parity is on.  You read
the original parity, read the original data, XOR it out of the parity
area, XOR the new data back in, and write the updated data and parity
(so 2r + 2w for every write the OS makes).  Writes larger than the
stripe size should access the multiple data+parity drives all in
parallel.

You pay a constant penalty for writes when going to RAID5, but the
number of drives involved in the array doesn't affect it.  You only
have to read every drive when one fails and you have to recalculate a
drive's contents from the parity data.  We have four 27+1 x 9GB
external RAID5 boxes that take over 4 hours to recalc when a drive
fails.

	-Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com