Date:      Sun, 20 Jun 1999 10:49:20 +0100
From:      Timo Geusch <freebsd@sleepycat.ukpeople.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PNPifying the 'ep' driver

Hi all,
I sent a similar mail to -current a while ago but by the number of
I go about it again.
Problem:
One of my FreeBSD boxes is loaded nearly to capacity with ISA and PCI cards.
In order to make it work at all I had to disable some of the on-board
peripherals (like IDE) and rely on PNP and PCI confiugration to sort out the
remaining mess. While everything works fine(?) in "evil Bill's" comsumer OSs
I have to rip out the sound card every time to make FreeBSD work. As this was
not doing the MoBo or my temper any good I started to investigate why.
It turns out that the problem seems to be the way that 3Com 3C509s handle PNP.
Set to PNP mode, the card patiently waits for the BIOS to assign I/O and
IRQ. When the ep driver does go about to query the card, it returns the cards
preferred default settings, not the PNP assigned ones. Big Ouch, as the card
driver suddenly waits for the Soundblaster AWE32 to trigger an interrupt so it
can go about reading data from the card :-(. To the OSs creadit networking
still works, albeit with a 64 sec ping roundtrip time ...

Well, I dug deeper and found that the ep driver had been spared the
embarrasment of being converted to the pnp framework ;-). An hours worth of
hacking solved that but now I hit an impasse that I can't seem to resolve
with out the card documentation.

Questions:

1. I emailed 3Com support asking 'Where could I get a Technical Reference
   Manual for this card?'. They acknowledged that the had passed that email
   on internally but are obviously taking their time to answer this question.
   Does anyone have a contact inside 3Com that might be able to help speed up
   this process a bit? Or alternatively, can anyone help out with the relevant
   information while I wait for 3Com to come back to me?

2. From what I see so far I would have to reconfigure the card inside the
   driver (much like a PCMCIA card is configured on insertion). Am I breaking
   any unwritten rules here? I obviously want to have the changes put into the
   tree once everyone is satisfied that they work, so I better make sure that
   I don't violate any unwritten rules here.

Regards,

Timo