Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 2002 10:57:55 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount option 'ASYNC' on UFS filesystems?

Dear Sirs.

It is said that it could be very dangerous enabling the option
'async' in /etc/fstab on each mounted UFS filesystem. I can
follow this warning so far as I'm on a normal IDE/SCSI type
device, but what's about a RAID 5?

I wish to enable this option on several server based file systems
located on a RAID 5 controller (AMI Enterprise 1600 RAID, battery
backed up cache memory). Due to the fact that the controller uses
a battery backed up cache likelyhood of crash and data loss seems
to be small, but just in case all buffers are written to the controller's
memory and there are no remains in the system memory space.

Can anyone give some hints, tips or comments about that?

Thanks in advance,

Oliver

--
MfG
O. Hartmann

ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
Becherweg 21
55099 Mainz

Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)