Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 19:47:46 -0700 (MST)
From:      Jason Boerner <chaos@rivers.oscs.montana.edu>
To:        Mitchell Ackerman <0006619934@mcimail.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: non-initial installation

I found installs from the CD to be a bit unattractive.  Hence, I pull
everything from the network.  I like haveing source code, so I:
cd /usr/ports
NOTE: You may need to set the file protections levels.
ftp freebsd.cdrom.com
cd /pub/FreeBSD/
binary
get ports.tar.gz
bye
gunzip  ports.tar.gz
cd ..
tar -xvf ports/ports.tar

An alternate methode is to look in the CD under packages.  Find the
package that you want and perform a pkg_add <filename>.

This will create the ports directory on your system in it's full glory
(This is really not that large).  I then CD into the ports direcotry
containing the stuff that I need/want to build and perform a make.

***NOTE TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS A LOT ABOUT THESE PORT INSTALL METHODES:
I believe that this not only build the files but installs (make
install) them.  However they do not show up with pkg_info -a.

Does anyone know how to/where to fix this at?  This and fixing the uemacs
port are my next too little assignments.

I hope that this helps.