Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:33:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, bmilekic@technokratis.com, imp@village.org, Mats Lofkvist <mal@algonet.se>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Subject:   Re: 64 bit counters again

On 15-Jan-02 Terry Lambert wrote:
> Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>> >THat's the main reason I sugested counting something else
>> >instead of bytes.
>>
>> Terry, at this point I think we can conclude that this is not
>> what the majority of people want.
>>
>> Now, please go away and stop wasting our time.
>
> Apparently you didn't realize that "suggested" is the past
> tense of "suggest", and that I wasn't in the process of
> suggesting it right then.
>
> PS: THanks for throwing away everything else and taking that
> one sentence out of context; I'm sure you've clarified for
> everyone that that was the incredibly mist important sentence
> in the posting to which you are replying, instead of just a
> side note in response to Mats statement.

FWIW, I agree that doing 64-bit counters on IA32 is more of a pain
than its worth, so I think it's not quite the Terry vs. the world
some people would like to believe.  Terry is trying to get people
to use solutions that scale.  Bumping the size of the counter for
bytes doesn't scale, it just postpones the problem a little.

If you really want a 64-bit counter, go get an alpha or when 5.0
comes out an ultrasparc or ia64 box.