Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 13:53:46 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        "Tomlinson, Drew" <Drew.Tomlinson@lc.ca.gov>
Cc:        "'Mark Ovens'" <marko@freebsd.org>, "'FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Part #1 - Newbie Help Determining Lost Root After Upgrade Fro	m4.0  to 4.1

> "Tomlinson, Drew" wrote:

> > > Thank you both for your help.  I am compiling a new kernel right
>
> > > now.
> > >
> > > I'm actually in California but I use a dynamic IP (dynip.com)
> DNS
> > > service that is located in Canada.  So would this be why I had
> an
> > > error using CVSup with the "cvs-crypto" tag?  I don't remember
> the
> > > exact error but it was something along the lines of it not being
>
> > > available.  When I commented out the "cvs-crypto" and
> uncommented
> > > the individual collections, I didn't get the unavailable error.
> >
> > That message was caused by the fact they folded crypto in to
> src-all.
> > The cryto stuff should all be commented out or moved in front of
> the
> > ports-all tag=. section. I think commented out is the best choice
> > because it is already in src-all. I don't include the ports with
> my
> > system cvsup. I update the ports and docs manually because they
> are
> > based on tag=. and I don't mixed different worlds :). The fact
> that
> > you have your crypto stuff after the ports-all tag=. concerns me.
> > have doubts on this but no notion what it did for you or to you. I
>
> > just don't do it that way because of my way of handling building
> my
> > world.
> >

> I just edited the supfile that was installed with the port.  That's
> the order it was in.  How do you update the ports and docs
> manually?  Do you have a different supfile with just the ports and
> docs?  Or is there some other command.

I started out doing a "locate supfile" and copied them into a
directory /root/cvsup. Then, I edit 4.x-stable-supfile, ports-supfile,
and docs-supfile to point to my favorite cvsup server in Washington
state. I think one that does everything is ok. I usually want to
update the docs or ports on a different schedule than I do
buildworlds.

> > > So what problems am I likely to encounter once I get a good
> kernel?
> > > Also, you are correct, mergemaster didn't actually update
> anything
> > > as the default is to leave it for later.  I've read the man page
> but
> > > don't understand why/when I want to keep, replace, or merge.  I
> am
> > > completely new to Unix and am having a difficult time grasping
> > > concepts.
> >
> > I am very carefull to always use a KERNEL=SOMETHING on my
> buildkernel.
> > The previous commands stick around in roots history file. I rarely
>
> > modify my kernel config file and so I always do the
> > build[install]kernel method in /usr/src/UPDATING. I find I can get
>
> > away without doing the intermediate singe user mode boot but you
> > shouldn't try it right now.
>
> Thanks.  I did use KERNEL=SOMETHING (machine name) as suggested by
> the handbook.  But I'm curious.  Why do you rarely modify your
> kernel config file?  I thought that one of the main advantages to
> Unix was in creating a custom kernel specific to each machine, thus
> streamlining the OS and speeding things up significantly.  Is this a
> misperception?

My config file has been modified and everything I use is in it. You
aren't there yet. After you get your kernel running your way. You
won't need to modify it until you add more hardware or features, a
heads up comes along, or the next stable 4.x-RC shows up.

You have to remember to keep the kernel with the buildworld that it
came from. If you cvsup and do a buildworld, you also rebuild your
kernel and do an installworld. You can cvsup as many times as you want
as long as you don't let your kernel and world get out of step. I
would also think that if cvsup and a kernel module is all that is
changed, you can get buy with out rebuilding your world. You can
change your kernel config any time and just rebuild the kernel. If
your world hasn't changed, the config kernel way is much faster than
rebuilding your world and your kernel.

> > With mergemaster I follow the rule that anything I haven't
> modified I
> > use the new file (the "i" option). That is what the system is
> > expecting to use. You will have to update what seems like 100
> files.
> > It will try to change your host* files. I look at those and do it
> > manually (the <cr> option). I have modified my dot.* files and I
> don't
> > let it change them back. It will try to change /root/.* files and
> > don't let it do that either. My root aliases kept disappearing
> until
> > the light went on.
> >
> > Sendmail is going to thrash around until you build a new
> aliases.db
> > using the "newaliases" command. That is discussed in the first
> screen
> > of text on /usr/src/UPDATING.
>
> When my compile finally finishes, I'll try these steps.  With the
> exception of the console, I'm locked out.  I can't telnet in as I
> have no IP connection.  Any attempt to ping from my machine returns
> a "no route to host" message even on the same subnet.  I hope this
> is just because my system is between verisons right now?  If not
> then I'll tackle that one next.

That could be your problem. Telnetd and your kernel belong to
different worlds now. You should know soon. Your NIC driver could have
changed names and you will have to watch dmesg and see if your network
card is recognized and what it is recognized as. You are adding IPV6,
which I completely disable. You will have to check your rc.conf and
see if everything is still there. Your rc.conf, resolv.conf, hosts,
and hosts.allow could (probably) have been changed. Look at it like
you were installing a system from scratch. You just look at
/etc/defaults for the choices. There are only 3 or 4 files you have to
look at and you might as well look at all of them up front.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA