Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 08:03:30 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        "Pedro F. Giffuni" <pfg1+@pitt.edu>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   OS portability (was: Things you learn in school)

On Sunday,  8 July 2001 at 22:16:37 +0200, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 5:56 PM -0400 7/7/01, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
>
>>  * Linux is the choice for implementing webservices because it runs on
>>  any type of hardware.
>
> 	Yeah, right.  How many different types of hardware does Linux
> run on?  And how many different types of hardware does NetBSD run
> on?  Anyone who makes a claim like this for Linux obviously hasn't
> done their homework, and shouldn't be teaching people who might not
> be expected to know these kinds of things....

OK, let's take a look.  RS/6000?  Linux does, NetBSD doesn't really.
Ultra SPARC with PCI bus?  Linux does.  Last time I looked, NetBSD
didn't.  S/390?  Linux does, NetBSD doesn't.  SMP machines?  Linux
does, NetBSD doesn't.

Especially from an IBM point of view, this points very much to Linux
as being the more portable system.  I don't think anybody cares very
much whether Linux runs on a Sun 3.

Greg