Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:52:07 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
Cc:        Don <don@calis.blacksun.org>, Craig Reyenga <creyenga@connectmail.carleton.ca>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Solved??? Re: playing mp3s and burning a cd

> Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 14:43:30 -0500
> From: The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
>

> --3V7upXqbjpZ4EhLz
>
> On Mon Mar 24, 2003 at 02:14:48PM -0500, Don wrote:
> > > Should a PR be filed or some QA team contacted to make sure this
> > > problem doesn't stay alive in 5.2? :)
> > This isn't, by chance, a problem with your setting for the
> > sysctl "hw.ata.atapi_dma" is it?
>
> How extraordinarly cute! This solves it! I'm currently listening to
> Me, Mom and Morgentaler and burning a 4x CD without any slowdown, this
> is great.
>
> So I guess a "workaround" is to toggle DMA for my ATAPI bus. Indeed,
> the burner is IDE and should be working on DMA mode to get optimal
> performance.
>
> The thing is that atapicam hides the DMA/PIO magic from the usual boot
> messagesand there's therefore no way to see wether the device is in
> DMA mode unless you compile in both cd0 and acd0 which I heard isn't
> recommended...
>
> A.
>
> PS: what's the proper way to enable ATAPI DMA in the loader.conf file?
> I don't see any flag WRT that there.. I'm tempted to add:
>
> set hw.ata.atapi_cam=3D1
>
> anywhere there...

Close. Add:
hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"    # Run the CD-ROM/DVD in DMA mode
to /boot/loader.conf.

This should be in almost EVERY /boot/loader.conf. The default is 0 (PIO)
because DMA is broken on at least a few early CD readers, but it is
very rare to have it fail. (I've never seen it.)

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)