Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2000 06:33:57 -0800
From:      "Francis Abella" <archiver@db.geocrawler.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   CPQ Smart Array & IDE CD-ROM i

This message was sent from Geocrawler.com by "Francis Abella" <abellaf@allcet.com>
Be sure to reply to that address.

I have:
CPQ Proliant 1600 7/500 w/ 256MB RAM
4 - 9 GB Plug w/ultra 2 SCSI HD's
    1 - in an array by itself as a "boot drive"
(RAID0)
    3 - in an array at RAID5
these are running on CPQ Smart Array 221 (on slot
4, bus 2)
an embedded IDE Controller (enabled as 2nd
controller [floppy is first on
another embedded IDE controller])
    running the CPQ CDR-8435 CD-ROM on IRQ 14

Right now I have no OS installed & am trying to
install FreeBSD 3.4 from CD.

When I boot from the CD, FreeBSD doesn't
recognize the Smart Array 221
card - so there's nowhere
to install the OS to.  After reading through
newsgroups I found a fix & on
another box already running FBSD
I created a new kernel by inserting:

---------------------
controller     ida0    at pci0 bio irq 11 vector
idaintr
controller     ida0
disk           id0        at ida0 drive 0
disk           id1         at ida0 drive 1
disk           id2        at ida0 drive 2
disk           id3         at ida0 drive 3
---------------------
into my kernel.  configed it, make depended it,
maked it, make installed it,
gziped it onto the kern.flp.

Booted & recognized my Smart Array!  (singing,
dancing, kissing people in
the streets, until...) then
on the install, CD-ROM was not found.

OK.  So read through LINT & saw that perhaps I
was missing the option:

---------------------
options                IDA_CUCKOO_MODE=0
---------------------

inserted into my kernel.  configed it,
got 'unknown option
"IDA_CUCKOO_MODE"'
make depended it anyway, maked it, make installed
it, gziped it onto the
kern.flp.

Still wouldn't recognize the CD-ROM.

OK. tried defining the cuckoo control in my ida.c

---------------------
/* IDA wdc vector stealing (cuckoo) control */
#define IDA_CUCKOO_NEVER 0
#define IDA_CUCKOO_ROOTWD 1
#define IDA_CUCKOO_ROOTNOTIDA 2
#define IDA_CUCKOO_ALWAYS 3

#ifndef IDA_CUCKOO_MODE
#define IDA_CUCKOO_MODE  IDA_CUCKOO_NEVER
/* IDA_CUCKOO_ALWAYS */
#endif
---------------------

reconfiged my kernel, still got 'unknown
option "IDA_CUCKOO_MODE"'
make depended it anyway, maked it, make installed
it, gziped it onto the
kern.flp.

Still wouldn't recognize the CD-ROM.

What am I doing wrong?  I've also tried to do the
install via FTP.  But,
although the boot up recognizes
my Ethernet card, I can't get out using it!

I'm ready to head to the tallest tower about
now!  Please, if you have any
mercy, please help!  I know someone out there
must have come across this & resolved it.  (also
tried calling Compaq
regarding their FreeBSD test drive - but they
don't
support the OS and no one there know who may have
set up the test box.)

Thank you for any insight you might offer.

--
Francis
abellaf@allcet.com

Geocrawler.com - The Knowledge Archive