Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:30:55 +0800 (WST)
From:      Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
To:        BEAUPRE Antoine <beaupran@JSP.UMontreal.CA>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Missing sendmail.cf...

On Sat, 24 Oct 1998, BEAUPRE Antoine wrote:

> I recently crashed my root partition, and with it alll of my configuration
> files... I achieve a almost complete recovery, doing a "make world" and
> still having the /usr/src partition helping a lot.

That's for sure. But you should keep an off-site backup of your /etc
directory and maybe also /usr/local.

> But then I saw that I had no /etc/sendmail.cf file! How come? Isn't 'make
> world' supposed to recreate the /etc files?

No. Do the following:

bash# cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail/cf/cf
bash# make freebsd.cf
bash# cp freebsd.cf /etc/sendmail.cf

Edit your new sendmail.cf to match your local requirements.

Restart sendmail with:

bash# /usr/sbin/sendmail -bd -q30m

Then:

bash# ps -ax | grep sendmail

Should show sendmail running on port 25, if all has gone well with your
replaced sendmail.cf file.

Regards,

d.