Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 11:48:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG (freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG)
Subject:   Re: Check Point FW-1

<<On Sun, 8 Oct 2000 15:27:07 +1100 (Australia/NSW), Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au> said:

> For the record, you can't sue anyone who's got the "standard" software
> license/disclaimer over the failure of it to perform or be bug free.
> Read it one day and actually see what it's all about.

Um, yes and no.  It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  Here in
Massachusetts, there is no legally valid waiver of the right to sue,
and implied warranties are difficult to disclaim.  I do not know,
however, whether anyone has tested this relative to a commercial
software license before -- but there is a reason most licenses which
include a warranty clause say something like ``this warranty gives you
specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from
jurisdiction to jursidiction.''

-GAWollman