Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:48:32 -0500
From:      "Charles Howse" <chowse@charter.net>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Looking for detailed documentation: Install to existing filesystem

> This is fairly easy.  What you do it copy the files to a directory
> on a second disk drive on the machine, and point sysinstall to that
> partition/directory during the install.
>=20
> 8-).

(tongue in cheek) Thank you!  ;-)

OK, here's what I did.  Remember, I just want to install from scratch,
not upgrade or anything too complicated.

I copied the entire contents of CD 1 to /dev/ad3s1e/freebsd which I
mount as /disk2/freebsd.  I used Midnight Commander to do this,
selecting each directory and telling it to dive into subdirectories if
they exist.

I booted from the CD, worked my way as usual to the Media Selection menu
and chose Install from an existing filesystem.  I *did* set the mount
point for ad3s1e to /disk2 and did not toggle NewFS (preserve files).

I entered /dev/ad3s1e/freebsd as the location.

It failed with "can't copy <each and every distribution> from
/mnt/dev/ad3s1e/freebsd"
Try again? Y
Failed.
Etc., etc., etc.

I tried the whole thing again, entering /mnt/dev/ad3s1e/freebsd this
time as the location.

Failed again.

I looked at the debug output with ALT + F2, and the only thing I
remember was that it said it couldn't open some file for writing.

This is the exact same error that I see so many people posting about
when I Goolge for a solution to this question.  The most frequent thing
they ask is, "Do I have to mount the partition on which the distfiles
are located before I install?  If so, how?"

Any suggestions (careful! <grin>)?

>PPS: I've posted detailed instructions on doing this at least
>three times in the past three years, since I needed to upgrade
>over NFS to a machine without anything but a local copy of
>FreeBSD that could be booted; start looking around June of 2001
>in the -current and -hackers archives.

I searched a while and didn't find anything, probably gave up too soon,
decided to just wing it.  I'm off today and don't mind fiddling around
trying to figure this out.