Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 15:40:12 -0500
From:      "G. Jason Middleton" <gmiddl1@gl.umbc.edu>
To:        Lucas Bergman <lucas@slb.to>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: setting up a firewall (Was: dual homed host)

to answer you question about the dns:
de0 is set up with no problems (static from cable ISP)
dc0 is set to 192.168.0.1 like you said and i wanted to know what DNS
number to use for this interface.  I do not have a DNS server set up yet
that is my next goal after setting up the firewall. In addition to my
question about DNS was what should i set the gateway too?

Thanks for your help

Jason

 On Fri, 23 Feb 2001,
Lucas Bergman wrote:

> > i am setting up a firewall and i have been battling with getting the
> > damn things to work together.. i am using sysinstall to chagne the
> > ip addys and the dns entries and the mask etc etc.   I set de0 up
> > for the live ip (internet ip from my ISP) and i set up dc0 with the
> > dead ip (192.168.0.1 or 192.168.0.2) not sure which one i should
> > use.
>
> It doesn't matter.  Conventionally, though, the packet router (as this
> machine will be) on a class C net has its last octet set to 1.
>
> > SO when i am setting up dc0 what should i set the dns entry to?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean that you have your own DNS
> server and you want to give the address on dc0 an entry (an "A"
> record)?  Do you mean to ask what address you should give as your DNS
> server?
>
> In fact, the answer to the second question depends on the answer to
> the second, so please try to clarify this.
>
> > And what should i set the gateway to?  Can they be on the same
> > subnet?
>
> The "gateway" ("default route" might be a better way of putting it) on
> the firewall machine should be set to the address given to you by your
> ISP, which is certainly on the same subnet as the routable address you
> have (on de0).
>
> > Info would be appreciated and yes i am already reading the handbook
> > and lso Greg Lehey's book as well as Oreilly's tcp/ip for netork
> > administrators.
>
> Good man.
>
> Of course, if you have any other machines inside the firewall, you'll
> want to set up natd; the man page (natd(8)) is quite good.
>
> Lucas

G. Jason Middleton

Announcement:

The revolution will not be televised.