Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 2002 23:10:47 +0000
From:      "D. Penev" <dpenev@mail.bg>
To:        MET <met@uberstats.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Internet Connection

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 03:40:49PM -0400, MET wrote:
>From: "MET" <met@uberstats.com>
>To: "'D. Penev'" <dpenev@mail.bg>
>Cc: <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
>Subject: RE: Internet Connection
>Date: Thu, 8 Aug 2002 15:40:49 -0400
>
>Yes, I'm not sure what to set the host and domain as....I cannot use
>DHCP as I often will need access to this machine from other
>computers....and figuring out what IP it will have that day is annoying.

You can access laptop using its hostname which is permanent, not only with IP
address.

>- Matthew

Is it support NAT (Network Address Translation) ? I suppose yes.

>>I know the IPv4 (192.168.1.30) and IPv4 Gateway (192.168.1.1) and the
>>DNS IP's (24.92.226.13/171).

In /etc/rc.conf:
hostname="you_machine_host_name"
ifconfig_XXX="inet 192.168.1.30/YY" # where XXX is interface (like ed0), YY is
					 netmask
defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"

In /etc/hosts
192.168.1.30	you_machine_host_name

In /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 24.92.226.13

>>But I don't know what to set the host or domain to.
>
>Be more clear, what you mean "what to set the host ..."?
>You don't know where to set above addresses ?
>

>>Ideas ?
>>
>>- Matthew

>>      Matthew Metnetsky
>>
>>      met@uberstats.com