Date:      Wed, 15 May 1996 15:44:44 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        tinguely@plains.nodak.edu (Mark Tinguely)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.freebsd.org, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Subject:   Re: yppasswdd permissions/ownership

> >  We want to allow our NIS users on the clients to set their yp passwords.
> >  Since /etc/master.passwd is rw------- root wheel and yppasswdd runs
> >  as bin bin it seems to me impossible to change the master password database.
> >
> >  Shouldn't yppasswdd better be run as 4755 root bin ? Or is this
> >  a potential security hole?
>
> yppasswdd is a daemon that runs as root. ypasswdd is started from /etc/rc

Yes, of course it runs as root - I must have had a blackout :-)

>  because your /etc/sysconfig has the line:
>
> yppasswddflags="-m /etc/master.passwd -s -f"

We are running yppasswd with these flags. I just gave it a test.
I could do a passwd on the client. After that I could not login
into the client. I could well login into the server with the
new password. Might it be some problem with DES/MD5 encryption?
I build world with NOCRYPT. All binaries are from -current.