Date:      Thu, 28 Mar 2002 09:24:13 -0700
From:      "Samuel Chow" <cyschow@shaw.ca>
To:        "Martyn Hill" <sysadmin@st-james-snrgirls.w-london.sch.uk>
Cc:        "FreeBSD-questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Cable-modem, dynamic IP, NAT and IPFW

> Where the FreeBSD box is acting as a gateway for a private LAN, I
> assume I must then implement NATD for NAT, as opposed to PPP NAT?

    Correct.

> As the external NIC will at some time be re-assigned its IP etc,
> including its default route, is it the case that dhclient will
> take care of this, allowing uninterrupted access to the Internet
> from inside the private LAN?

    You need the -dynamic flag to natd if your IP address can
    change. The routing is handled by dhclient.

> I've noted that some published configurations use dhclient-scripts
> that do some additional configuration upon a renewed DHCP lease.
> Will this be necessary?

    It depends on what you want.  I don't do any.  However,
    if you want to send a signal to some processes, possibly.

---
Samuel Chow
cyschow@shaw.ca

This message is displayed using recycled electrons.
Segmentation Fault (core dumped)