Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2000 06:34:43 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cliff@raggedclown.net>
To:        "Allen Lynch" <levothyroxine@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: This will replace Linux?

On Saturday 16 December 2000 06:08, Allen Lynch wrote:
> I have used Windows 98, BeOS and 5 different distributions of Linux. The
> experience of installing your OS was one of the worst of my life, and I am
> permanently disabled with a severe, chronic, bipolar disorder. I told a
> friend at Caldera that I would kill before I'd repeat the experience.

I would like to take the time to address some of your points.
On the "subject" I for one do not see FBSD and Linux in competitions
with each other, perhaps some people do. They are different approaches
to providing a UNIX type operating system that is usable in a huge
variety of environments, from my little desktop to huge servers. There
are of course many "philosophical" differences regarding licensing, freedoms
etc, but that is not what is at issue here.

> A few lessons:
> 1. Installed means installed - not downloaded, not archived, installed.
I do not understand this point. To install the system you have to get it from
somwehere, ftp or CD or whatever. With any program this is always true.
> 2. Copy and paste are viable concepts in any OS.
Copy and paste is supported as in Linux, you can copy and paste in the
shell with your mouse just as in Linux, and in X11 the same desktop facilities
are available whatever the platform.
> 3. RPM is not installed and also mentioned nowhere in "The Complete
> FreeBSD". A little professional jealousy?
One of the incredible strengths of BSD, in my limited experience, has
been the automation of the ports installation, it is really painless.
of course it doesn't always work .. but you can always ask here about that !
I don;t know FBSD's line on rpm, so I cannot answe that.
> 4. If you can't support what you sell, and you obviously can't, go wash
> dishes and do something constructive.
FBSD is written and supported by volunteers. The support from the mailing
lists and newsgroups is of a very high quality in my experience. Very
knowledgeable people use these groups as well as beginners.
> 5. I don't know anyone at FreeBSD and for that I am truly grateful.
Well, I dont know anyone personally either; I am sure they are all very nice
:)
> 6. Netscape has just informed me that someone is running on my desktop,
> that has never happened with ny other system.
Well, you could ask a question about this here.

I am sorry you have had such a negative experience with FBSD. No-one
will pretend it is for everyone I guess.

I wish you luck.

Cliff