Date:      Sun, 7 Nov 1999 06:29:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Daniel Malament <danielm@j51.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: various

Thanks for the prompt reply.

> > such slow performance out of the 3com?  Are all ISA nics this slow?  For
> > that matter, how much bandwidth can one expect a card to use in general?
> > What prevents getting the full 10MB?  Buffer delays?
> You should be able to get close to 10Mb/sec on an NE2000 if you have a
> pentium200 or more..
Well, it's a P166....  I should clarify, btw: the cards were giving me 333
and 30 kilobytes/sec, whereas ethernet is of course measured in megabits.

But - what determines the limits?  Processor and buffer, like I said?
Is there usually a difference in performance between ISA and PCI nics?

> I suspect the card doing 30KB/sec is configured for the wrong interrupt..
> (check systat -vmstat to se if it's generating any interrrupts)
It's generating them, all right.  There is one odd thing, tho...  I'm
using ftp to do this, and there seems to be a pause after each file.  I'm
not sure what that pause is, and if it's being factored into the speed
rating.  I didn't perceive a pause with the faster nic, but then the
transfers were also going faster.

> > 3) What's the current status of FreeBSD's USB support?
> various simple devices work (e.g keyboard, mouse.. more complicated
> devices are being 'improved'.
When was USB suport added to the system?  And is it actually worth using?
I don't see much reason for using USB for a keyboard, and I've also heard
that USB is flaky in general...

-Dan