Date:      Wed, 03 Aug 2011 13:34:07 +0200
From:      Michal Varga <varga.michal@gmail.com>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   URL handling in Gnome broken, recently

Does anyone know which update broke url handling in Gnome some time
recently, I'd assume in between last one-to-three weeks?

I realized the symptoms too late to narrow it down to a specific port
now, and I have no idea what handles url requests - gnome-vfs, maybe, or
some friends above/below?

Basically, opening an URL now from any gnome/gtk application is
completely fubared, clicking a web page link in something like
gnome-terminal, pidgin, etc. launches a new epiphany window instead of
reusing the old one and opening a new tab (thus completely ignoring
'preferences > preferred applications' control panel), clicking a link
from evolution even silently fails half the time, or some times launches
a new browser instance about ten minutes later, clicking any http image
link first internally checks the mime type (or it seems so) on the
server and then launches the url in eog (merciful god, why), and so on.

It's really impossible to work with URLs in Gnome at this moment, other
than manually copy/pasting them into a running browser every single
time.

Some ideas on what went wrong?

m.

--