Date:      Thu, 06 Feb 2003 11:23:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      "J. Seth Henry" <jshenry@comcast.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   X terminal saga continues

Thanks much for the help so far, but this X terminal project is
reminiscent of the dutch boy and dike. Everytime I get one thing working,
something else goes screwy.

I now have X starting automatically by initd, and it connects to an xdm
application server. This works correctly, and I can log in as any user on
the server from the terminal. (Note, the console doesn't have a monitor,
but it should also be displaying an xdm login)

Presently, I have a local .xsession in every user's home directory, which
starts icewm. This is OK, as I can add it to /etc/skel, but it would be
nice if there were an override file, which automatically started the wm.

Also, I've noticed that some applications, such as Mozilla, aren't
recieving keyboard shortcuts anymore. When I log into the terminal
console, manually start X, and connect to the server, Mozilla runs fine -
responds to CTRL+ALT+L, ALT+RIGHT/LEFT etc. When I log in graphically,
Mozilla doesn't "see" any of these commands. I have used xev, running
from the application server, to verify that the X server is sending the
keystrokes. I also checked PINE, and it responds to the keystrokes.

So, it would appear to be a problem with Mozilla, but I can't figure out
why it works when I start the application via an xterm?

Did I misconfigure xdm?

Notes:
I am using Xfree86 4.2.x libraries on the server (the default for FBSD
4.7-REL), the terminals are running Xfree 3.3.6 for memory reasons. The X
server on the terminals were modified slightly to remap "special" keys to
normal keys, but are otherwise unmodified. The server has worked before,
so I don't suspect it is the problem, and xev on either the server or the
client reports that the keystrokes are, indeed, being generated correctly.

All the systems involved are running 4.7-REL with custom kernels.

problem only occurs when the wm is launched via xdm - launching via xterm
after manual login doesn't appear to result in the problem

I am using the Linux Mozilla binary

No errors are being reported in either the terminal or app server's
syslog, or xdm-errors log.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as ironically, Mozilla was the
primary purpose for these terminals. :)

Thanks,
Seth Henry