Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 14:43:55 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jason Young <doogie@anet-stl.com>
To:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@freebsd.netcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ep0 etherlink III breakage

> ie0: unknown board_id: f000
> 1 3C5x9 board(s) on ISA found at 0x300
> ep0 at port 0x300-0x30f irq 10 on isa0
> ep0: utp[*UTP*] address 00:a0:24:a1:9a:1e
> isa_compat: didn't get ports for le
> isa_compat: didn't get ports for cs
> unknown0: <3Com 3C509B EtherLink III> at port 0x210-0x21f irq 5 on isa0
> ep0 XXX: driver didn't set ifq_maxlen
> changing root device to wd0s1a
>
> Since we have an ep0 and an unknown0 the ifconfig ep0 causes a hang.  Doing
> this in stand alone eliminates other issues.  When debugging it pays to do
> that.

I think that the PNP code is finding your 3C509 and doing things with it,
like, moving its resources around. That's your unknown0 device. Try
disabling PNP in your kernel or PNP on your card with the DOS utility.

> Guess I made the mistake of misreading a request that came through
> freebsd-current a few days ago asking for any problem reports with ep0.
> My mistake - sorry - I shall return to lurking.

I think David was joking with you, hence the \begin{wpaul} statement. Bill
Paul is of course our resident Ethernet driver guy, and he is not known
for his patience with people who do not supply enough information. :)

Jason Young
accessUS Chief Network Engineer