Date:      Sun, 08 Oct 2000 02:48:39 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Jon Drukman <jsd@mail.gamespot.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newfs extended partition

Hello Mark and Jon,

> > cluttered# newfs /dev/ad0s7
> > newfs: ioctl (GDINFO): Invalid argument
> > newfs: /dev/ad0s7: can't read disk label; disk type must be specified
> >

> You can't create a ffs filesystem in an extended partition. You will have
> to delete the extended partition and re-create it as a primary.

That is not true.

bash-2.04$ mount
/dev/ad0s3a on / (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s3f on /home (ufs, local)
/dev/ad2s1d on /usr (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s3e on /var (ufs, local)
/dev/ad0s9h on /usr/src (ufs, local)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

Watch out /usr/src .

su-2.04# fdisk /dev/ad0s9
******* Working on device /dev/ad0s9 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=65 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=65 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 1060227 (517 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 478/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 543/ sector 63/ head 254
su-2.04#

Watch out the "head 1" (necessary for the boot record, which could live in this
extended slice) in the second last line as compared to:

su-2.04# fdisk /dev/ad0s3
[...]
The data for partition 4 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 0, size 50000 (24 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 255
su-2.04#

I fiddled at least two weeks with fdisk, disklabel and newfs, until I got this
working (somewhere I must have done something strange, as I got dmesg messages
about slice sizes not fitting. Took me the time I mentioned, to solve this
again. Finally zeroed the first two sectors of the strange slices by hand, to
get this done.)

Fdisk is not very useful to do this. My hint: Calculate the exact CHS-values by
hand and force fdisk to use them (it offers you this as special option within
the normal procedure).

Hope this helps

Siegbert